Spectrum Staffing’s team is comprised of recruiting specialists with actual expertise throughout a variety of industries, which contributes to our reputation as one of the top recruitment agencies in NJ. If you’re looking for an accounting job, it’s important to represent your skills and qualifications on your resume in a clear and concise manner. Check out these tips to learn about what resume formats are best for accountants:
The standard resume format of listing professional background information in chronological is ideal for both entry-level accountants and those continuing their career progression. It is to the point, and what most hiring managers have come to expect. Its format typically includes the following order for qualification:
- Contact Information
- Education and Certifications
A less common format, a functional/skills-based resume doesn’t list previous employment in order, but instead divides them into specific functions or skills (such as “Financial” or “Technical”). This may be a useful format for accountants who are changing careers, have employment gaps, or lack experience.
Regardless of which resume format you choose, here are some key best practices to keep in mind:
- Keep it Brief – Edit your text to prevent being too wordy or having large blocks of text that make it difficult for hiring managers to scan.
- Highlight Soft Skills – accountants need to be well-rounded beyond technical expertise, so be sure to highlight your soft skills, like communication, leadership, or problem-solving.
- Format for Readability – include line breaks and bullet points to allow for white space that makes it easier to read.
- Reuse the Same Generic Resume – tailor your resume for each specific job for which you apply by rearranging your bullet points to highlight the most relevant ones
- Include Subjective Statements – quantify your accomplishments with data, rather than writing statements that could be subjective (i.e., “hard worker.”)
- Use Firm-Specific Jargon or Acronyms – avoid using jargon or acronyms that are not accepted industry-wide to prevent confusion or misunderstanding
Find the accounting jobs that are the best fit by teaming up with Spectrum Staffing.
As one of the most experienced recruitment agencies in NJ, Spectrum has been matching candidates with the available jobs from our clients for more than 25 years. Get started today – search our current available positions.